Monday, December 1, 2008

My favorite horse as a kid, Joe.

This is my mom on Joe, when he was probably 3 or 4, she did all the ground work and beginning riding on him before I started riding him. He was a pretty good boy, the only problem I remember him having is occasionally he would pull when tied, and at one point he had a rearing problem that quit when I taught him to rear on cue. He was a registered QH, one bloodline was Yucca King, and he was registered as brown, but he really was a really dark buckskin, he had a black line down his back and got lighter every year.

LOL I wish someone had taught me posture LOL if I only knew then what I know now LOL, Joe did really well for me in 4-H, we did well in west eq and in trail class. He was a great trail class horse, awesome with the gate and always tried anything I asked of him.

Oh the preparations before class. Had to have the chaps just right. There is my friend Patti on the left and Mary on the right.



Remember running Scurries in game shows? they dont run them anymore cuz somewhere along the line they became to dangerous, but they sure were fun! Three jumps and around the barrel and three more jumps home.



This looks like it was probably what we called the figure 8 back then, its called something else now.




And my all time favorite event, we always placed good, the keyhole, or key race as it is called now.
Will post a few more soon.



1 comment:

  1. Looks like Joe was quite a well put up horse and handsome to boot.It is great to reminisce about all the horse and times that shaped who we became.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my bubblebath of life! Come back soon!