Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Emma

Had a nerve wracking evening. Went out to feed last night, brought the horses in, fed them as usual. Emma wouldnt eat. Now if you know this horse, that is not a good thing! I pulled her feed and caught her. I then took her out to see if she was interested in grass at all and walked her some. No go, all she would do is push at the grass. This mare has never refused food in her life! In fact its hard to keep her out of the fresh grass when I take her out in the yard to hose her off or whatever. She stretched a little and peed while I had her out. I brought her back in and locked her outside gate, she usually comes and goes as she pleases.

hmmmmm I made the commitment to call the vet. I dont have any banamin on hand. We have a new vet in town, she recently graduated from vet school, oh, in the last 2-3 years. She is a really nice person and a horse person. So I asked her to come down, she got here and evaluated Em and gave her a shot of banamin and listened to her gut, took her pulse, etc. (not necessarily in that order). Emma wasnt bad enough to warrant tubing her, so we left it at that. She said it was ok to give her her hay. so I did. It was around 7:30pm by this time. The vet only charged me $70. which I gladly paid!!!  I went back out at 9:30pm, still no poop. Went back out when Hubby got home from work, at around 11:30, finally a small poop!! So I rested better! So the vets conclusion of a little gas colic was probably right!

Checked on her this morning when I fed, she was fine and ate her breakfast, she had pooped a couple more times. Still hadnt drank more than a little water. She seems good this afternoon.

I have a theory, I walked down the driveway to check the mail, and through them some apples off of the tree. Bad idea, I think the apples are fermented, hmmm. No wonder they gave her a belly ache. duh.
I googled whether apples can ferment on the tree, and what came up was a zillion stories about drunken Moose and Elk, from eating old apples, hhhhhmmmm again. Well that wont happen again!!! ever!!!!
Live and learn, at least nothing bad happened. So I am passing this lesson on to all you horse people.

5 comments:

  1. good to know! Glad she is OK, and you caught it early . Never knew that bout apples on the tree!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah FV it has to be just the old apples that havnt fallen and freeze and thaw all winter.
    Scary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Interesting theory. It makes sense, too. We never have any apples left on our trees after the season as we pick them all and freeze or can them. But I'll keep that in mind if ever I think about giving my mare an old apple.

    I'm glad Emma came through ok.

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't checked in here for some time as I thought it was getting boring, but the last several posts are good quality so I guess I'll add you back to my everyday bloglist. You deserve it my friend :)
    Modern Lack Coffee Table

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my bubblebath of life! Come back soon!