Friday, May 27, 2011

A walk in the park....

It was a beautiful day for a walk in the park.

I dont know what kind these trees are, but they are gorgeous in bloom!

Close up of the tiny little white flowers on the trees.

Wonderful gnarly trunks too. Keep in mind the van on the right, I will explain that later.


Are not they just gorgeous!!!

The Azaleas are in bloom too.

Purple is my favorite. We are working our way around to this building in the back ground.

There are a lot of centennial markers for the town of Washougal, this park was dedicated at the centennial celebration. In the middle of that circle, Hubby is reading the marker.

The brick paths are pretty too.

Inside the little building are historical boards, 8 of them in all, here are a few, this one tells how Washougal got its name.

The ealy fights on whos was whos in the area.

There is not a town of Parkers Landing, but the landing is still there. I admit I didnt read them all, or I could explain why, obviously Washougal won!


Walking back up the hill to another historical marker, this time....


....Local people were able to buy the red bricks and put their names on them or names of ancestors that moved to this area to start this town. Now anyone can buy a brick, to donate to the park.

All of the red bricks have names on them. You can see where they sprayed for the weeds too.

They are extending the bricks with names to the bricks that line the paths too.



Another little gazebo in the park.


And, back to the van that is parked here most days. It is the Washington dept. of wildlife, fisheries.
Here on the Columbia river we have a bounty on the Northern Pike Minnow, or Squawfish. You get paid for catching them according to how big they are. Some people make a fair amount of money when they turn them in. We have done it in the past, the biggest one I ever caught was around 20 inches, that was years ago. I think I only got $3, for my fish at that time. They are considered a predator fish, not native, that endangers the native Salmon. We can catch these fish, but Washington and Oregon are not allowed to kill the Sea lions that are decimating the Salmon at Bonniville Dam! But that is a whole other can of worms. I believe they should allow the Native Americans to harvest the seals, but HSUS keeps this in litigation over and over, to keep, well I dont know what they want to keep but I better just keep my mouth shut! LOL

You do have to register each day you fish and turn in your catch at the end of the day, by a certain time. I believe you are then given a voucher to fill out and mail in to WDFW.

A fishing guide coming off of the river, I cant believe they were out with as high as the water is.

This was the site of the old Parker House restaurant, which I posted about in the past. This was supposed to be the new, Black Pearl on the Columbia, restaurant. Sadly the man who started this building, died in January, and his wife says she just does not have the heart to finish it. Sad. So the empty shell sits there, waiting for another new investor to come along. Maybe someday I can get pictures inside, when someone finishes the building and opens it again. I really wish that a McMenimens, franchise would open here!!
Well that was our walk in the park, it has been raining, here ever since!


















2 comments:

  1. Well the benefit of all that rain is how gorgeous green and flowery it is there. Wow! Nothing is green, flowery or growing here. All we have is sunshine, blue skies, zero humidity, 50-60 mph wind gusts and sandstorms. The sounds of the wind slamming into our house is tricking my brain into thinking we live beside the sea. Sounds like ocean waves! lol!

    Thanks for taking me along on your walk.

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lisa! It is gorgeously green here, but I have to add wet and squishy too! LOL!!!!
    I wish I could send some your way!! Our daughter in Colorado Springs says its overly dry there too!!! Although they have gotten some rain lately.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my bubblebath of life! Come back soon!