I have very fond memories of the Christmas box my Grandparents would send, when I was little.
My Grandma would bake Gumdrop cake, and put one in the box with Christmas presents for all of us.
The only changes I made to the recipe was to soak the raisins in Captain Morgans Spiced Rum, I remember Grandma doing this) and a cup of hot water, may leave out the water next time. I called my Mom to consult with her about the recipe too.
Should have used more Rum! LOL can barely taste it. But it turned out wonderful!! Raisins, spiced gumdrops (no black ones) and walnuts. It is basically an applesauce cake.
2 lbs gumdrops (mine came in a 1.8lb package, that was plenty)
1 cup of butter
1 cup of sugar
2 eggs, well beaten
1 1/2 Cups sweetened applesauce (I used unsweetened)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cloves
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 lb light or dark raisins
1 1/2 Cups chopped nuts (I would love to try hazelnuts)
4 Cups flour
1. Preheat oven to 300* Dissolve baking soda in 1tsp hot water.
2. Cream butter and sugar in mixing bowl. (large one!)
3. Add applesauce, dissolved baking soda and eggs.
4. Add 2 C flour, cinnamon, cloves, salt.
5. Mix nuts, raisins and gumdrops in separate bowl. (here is one change I made, I didnt mix in the raisins because of the liquid, just added them after.)
6. Sift remaining 2 C flour over gumdrop mixture then add to the creamed mixture.
7. Grease and flour an angel food cake pan. ( I used a bundt pan, cuz thats the shape I remember as a kid!)
8. Pour batter into pan and bake 2 hours.
(next time I will check after about 1 hour 45 min., I have a convection oven and although it seems done perfect, it is a little crunchy on the bottom(top in pan). The only other thing I want to try is, well, more Rum! and adding some vanilla.
Prep time: 15 min Total time: 2 hrs 15 min Servings: 8-10 (a lot more than that!)
This recipe is one of my most favorite Christmas memories! Much better than fruit cake!