Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Horse Expo, Clark County Washington

Washington Horse Fair and Expo, This is the second year this company has had this event. Four years ago it was put on by The Mane Event, the same company that puts on a big expo up in Alberta. For some reason they did it for two years, then stopped. We had a year with no expo, then this company started one.
For all intensive purposes, it was almost the same as last year, except they didnt charge $8 bucks extra to see the entertainment show at 8PM. Oh and they didnt invite Mark Bolender back this year?? I have made a few comments on the expos FB that I was really disappointed that he wasnt back, he could have really spiced up the show, with what he does, although, he is probably fairly expensive to have come. I dont know how that works, because they would get all kinds of business from the show too. Craig Cameron, Barb Apple, Steve Rother, Kyle Kellmer, and Allison Trimble, were some of the clinitions. 

Anyway, our first stop was talking with the Back country Horsemen of Washington. They are a wonderful group that maintains trails and does a lot for the trail horse community in this area. We have a friend that is very active in BCH, and we visited with him for awhile.
 They had a nice booth with all the pamphlets and info, camping with your horses and leaving no trace. Big deal up here, because if you dont, the water will erode everything and ruin the environment. These BCH people even pack gravel in buckets, on mules up into the trails to maintain them, build bridges and maintain them etc.! All volunteers!! I believe they gave packing demos at the show too.

 There were some new trailers to drool over! LOL All those fancy shmancy living quarters trailers, sigh!!
I really dont care for the back tack area. I cant imagine, if you had a horse go down having to throw all your tack out to get the dang thing open and get to the horse! Not for me! We all know shit happens sometimes when you haul horses.
 As big and long as this trailer is, a three horse, it sure had a tiny living quarters area. The fridge, the sink and counter and the bed, not even a place to sit down. They are all Circle J brand.
 Lots of people on Saturday. A vender from up north even came down, the tack shop is called The Bony Pony, always thought that was cute.
 We talked to the rep at this booth for awhile.
 He had lots of props on his table. Can you see the difference between these two hooves?
 The one on the left is a normal hoof. The one on the right is a foundered hoof. Note how the tip of the coffin bone points down to the sole, not good, in severe founder this is what happens when the bone pokes through the sole. And all their suppliments to help with problems.
 More shopping.
 Not a whole lot of venders, but enough, hope it gets a little bigger. The only thing I bought besides food is a pair of horsie socks!!! Prices sure seemed high!  Did talk to a friend that does leather work, and has gaited horses. Carol just bought a Rocky Mtn horse, and Judy has a Foxtrotter. I snuck my question about how much a custom holster would be, @$90., and how much his chinks are, $249. to $450.  I so want a pair of chinks, just because you know! LOL
 Then we went outside to the "Hall of breeds"  This picture shows all the people in line to come in.
 The first horse we seen is a pretty Peruvian Paso, the saddles they use are so cool, sorry this is blury, I was trying to get the tooling.
 The harness around the back legs and tail, dont remember what its called.
 Beautiful stirrups too.
 There were two palomino ones. The bridles have a lot of detail too.
 Carol asking the gaited horse guy some questions. His mare is a Kentucky/Rocky Mtn Horse. (I over heard him say that later). All we could figure out is that the difference between Kentucky Mtn, and Rocky Mtn. is politics! LOL But I believe they are two separate registries.
 Judy joined her to ask some questions too.
 Rockies have cute faces. She liked Carols bag, and kept licking it.
 I of course had to find the Appaloosa booth!
 This guy was so funny, at first I thought he was a mare, until we walked over and looked at him. He would lift his leg and kick the rail just hard enough to ring it like a bell, because the miniature spotted donkey next to him, annoyed him! LOL he did it several times while we were in there, until they moved the donkey.
 There were to many people, I did not get a good picture of this guy. He is a Freisian/Appaloosa cross. He is a stud, 8 years old. Nothing special that I could see, other than spots. What a strange cross.
 He was very sweet tempered. But why would you want to breed to him?
More to come, and some videos if I can figure out how to upload them.


5 comments:

  1. Love the Expo, thanks for taking us along! Love the Peruvian tack, they do go fancy :)
    As for the trailer, what you said about a horse going down reminded me of when it happened to me, although I had more room (2 horses in a 4 horse slant). One thing you can do is pull the dividers, which I'm glad pulled out easy on ours. (I pulled one and THREW it out the back door. When you're scared and a horse is down, you can be very strong) Always remember those dividers come up and out.
    Love going to these Expos, I always spend more than I mean to, but they're worth it. I like the spotted Friesan, he's sure colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really wanted to go, but I couldn't drag anyone along with me. Plus the $10 to get in and the $6 bucks to park made me think twice too darn it. I can't wait to see more pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mikey, It is scary when they go down! Those back tack areas, just dont make sense to me. The ones I have seen being used are so stuffed full! I have visions of scattering your tack all over the highway while trying to save a horse!
    I will probably take the divider out of my trailer when I haul just Emma, I have that two horse now and it will give her plenty of room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary, The show was OK, but the same old same old. So dont feel to bad you missed it this year. I usually go with some friends, they get the Sr discount though! LOL so paid $8, instead of $10, then we split the parking.
    We are going to Albany, Or., for the show down there too, its huge and usually better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here is a link to some of the info on the Albany Horse expo http://albany.kval.com/content/northwest-horse-fair-expo-starts-thursdayin March.
    you will have to copy and paste it.

    There is a facebook page for them too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my bubblebath of life! Come back soon!